Re: [Xen-users] Best way to convert pv to hvm?

To: Tony Hoyle <tmh@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Best way to convert pv to hvm?
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2007 12:20:01 +0800
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 21:19:48 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tue, 2007-06-05 at 01:08 +0100, Tony Hoyle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to convert a number of PV domains to HVM domains.  The snag
> is they're all in separate partitions, so I need to get a unified disk
> image.
>
> My current plan is to mount the root of dom0 inside a booted domu
> (single user mode) and dd the entire contents of the virtual disk
> /dev/sda into a file on the dom0 disk.  Is this likely to work?  It's
> gonna be slow I know due to the dom0->domu->dom0 translation but is
> there perhaps a faster way?  I presume xen itself creates a partition
> table somewhere and if I could get at that and do it entire thing in
> dom0... is this just a python script generating it at runtime or is it
> stored somewhere?
>
> Tony

Why not setup the hvm guests to use nfsroots with a brand spanking new
unpartitioned image as well? Just fdisk, format, copy over adjust
config / boot paramaters and reboot.

This also lets you work the neuances you'll need to address in udev and
others when converting. Well , may need to. I have no idea what you have
or I'd make more distro specific suggestions.

Just setup the nfs server on dom-0. I don't use HVM much, but I don't
see any reason why that wouldn't work.

Seems like the easiest way to go for me. Its quite easy to break up var/
usr/ and the rest doing it like that.

Hope this helps,
--Tim