[Xen-users] Virtualisation on Dell pe2950 ?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Virtualisation on Dell pe2950 ?
From: Maciej Olchowik <m.olchowik@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 14:32:56 +0100
Delivery-date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 03:20:58 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Folks,

We are currently in the process of specing/buying new set of machines
on which we intend to run Xen and virtualise around 30 various project
servers that we run around the centre (mostly grid development stuff)
We plan to run 8-12 virtual xen guests on one physical server.

Please could you comment on the following spec for the new machine:

model:  Dell PowerEdge 2950
cpu:    two Quad Core Xeon E5320, 2x4MB Cache, 1.86GHz,
ram:    8GB  667MHz FBD
disk:   2x 73GB 15k SAS in RAID1 (73 GB for Dom-0)
        4x 300G 10k SAS in RAID5 (900 GB for guests)
other:  Dell Remote Access Card
        PERC 5/i RAID controller
        Redundant power supply

As far as I can see here:
http://hcl.xensource.com/?showall=no&subtab=systems

hardware virtualization etc will work ok, so I will be able to deploy
windows guests (should I need to).

did I miss anything, any known issues with SAS/Perc or is it better to
get SATA disks ? Would you add/take something to/from this ?

your help is much appreciated,

thanks,

Maciej