Re: [Xen-users] vmware inside Xen

> I want to run VMWare on my dom0, for those special occasions when I
> need to boot unmodified OSes.
>
> I found some messages from 2005 on this list that explained that it's
> not possible to run VMWare on a xen host.  (Example message pasted
> below..)
>
> Well, it's 2007 now..  Is it possible yet?  Before you ask, no, I
> don't have hardware support for virtualization.  (If I did, I wouldn't
> need VMWare.)

Sorry; still not possible.  However, see below for alternatives...

> I think that VMWare inside xen would be a very versatile setup...  If
> it can't be done, is there some other setup that might provide similar
> functionality?

Win4Lin officially support running inside a Xen VM, I believe.  Their product
is a modified version of Qemu, which you could just run inside a Xen VM
directly.  I've occasionally toyed with the idea of trying to make this sort
of setup a bit easier to configure...  maybe I should revisit this and see
how feasible it would be.

Kqemu will not work in a paravirt domU for the same reasons that VMware won't
(need to run in ring0).

Cheers,
Mark

> Thanks, cheers,
>
> --Dave Loyall
> p.s. I'm not subscribed to your list..  CC me, if you please.
>

> Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 00:20:01 +0100
> From: Steven Hand <Steven.Hand@...>
> Subject: Re: [Xen-users] vmware inside Xen
> [snip]
> vmware (workstation) includes a linux kernel module  - this
> runs inside the linux kernel in "ring 0" and uses this fact
> to provide its virtualization functionality. With Xen, only
> Xen itself runs in ring 0 - even dom0 runs in ring 1, and so
> cannot provide this functionality.
>
> cheers,
>
> S.

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.