RE: [Xen-users] RE: xm vcpu-set command has no effect on fully virtualiz

To: "Sangati, Ramya Govinda Reddy" <RamyaGovinda.Sangati@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] RE: xm vcpu-set command has no effect on fully virtualized machine
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 11:25:14 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 02:24:10 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well, I guess we should say it's a "feature" as in "that's not a bug,
it's a feature". Now for that "real" answer: The reason that this
doesn't work is that there's no REAL (standardized) way to tell an OS
that there's suddenly a different number of processors. If the a system
supports CPU hotplug at all, it will rely heavily on firmware (BIOS or
whatever) as well as special hardware in the system, and probably also
special drivers for the hotplug functinality for any particular OS that
supports CPU hotplug.

> When I type the command xm list, for a par virtualized OS, it
> shows the
> changes that I made, whereas for a fully virtualized OS,
> there is no change
> in the number of VCPU's.
>
> Also xm mem-set <domain ID> < memory> does not work in a
> Fully Virtualized
> Guest OS.

Yes, the number of VCPU or bytes of memory owned by guest is maintained
by the hypervisor itself. The problem lies in telling the  OS that it's
just gained/lost some of that.

--
Mats