RE: [Xen-users] create a partition on a file disk

To: "trilok nuwal" <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] create a partition on a file disk
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:50:14 +0200
Cc: Xen list <Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 02:50:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I always prefer the easy method, so what is the reason you can't just
copy the ENTIRE disk (boot sector, partition tables and all) of the
original installation?

Something like:
dd if=/dev/hda of=mydisk.img bs=512

Otherwise, I believe "losetup mydisk.img"

Some experimenting seems to indicate that you can do this:

"losetup -f"
!! Make note of the /dev/loopN you see here.
"losetup -f mydisk.img"
"fdisk /dev/loopN"
... Do whatever fdisk activity. Finish with "w"
You then follow the hints on this page to mount the partitions of the
loop-device:
http://www.campworld.net/thewiki/pmwiki.php/Linux/DiskImagesHOWTO
[You'll probably have to modify the numbers, but the first partition is
usually 63 * 512 bytes into the device]
I managed to use "mkfs.ext3" to my 100MB "disk" with this method.

--
Mats