RE: [Xen-users] Windows domU on a no HVM CPU

To: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Windows domU on a no HVM CPU
From: "Gary W. Smith" <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:51:57 -0700
Cc: Velten Spägele <xen@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 08:51:02 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Really! I thought it fell off the primary support list several years
> ago
> and went to "extended", "we-ll fix it if you give us extra money"
> support. You can't get licenses from Microsoft for it anymore,
> according
> to their own website.
>
> Where is your cite of the 2010 support date? I assume by that you mean
> the extended support?

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/server/evaluation/news/bulletins/extendedsupport.mspx

Though it's in extended support, you get critical and security updates without
having to pay additional money.

I'm not trying to be cynical or to start a flame war, I'm just providing
accurate advice.  Do I like running windows 2000 at this point in the game? No!
But sometimes you have to.

I still have VM's running very legacy software based on NT.  Is that smart?
Hell no.  But for a variety of reasons it's a must.

So, back to the original statement.  He can install 2000 under VM and still get
security updates until 2010 (according to the link I included).  This is a true
statement.  Anything else is opinion.

Gary