Re: [Xen-users] Sharing character devices over network

To: Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Sharing character devices over network
From: Igor Chubin <igor@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 08:45:46 +0300
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 22:44:20 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

> >Nico,
> >I can't understand how can SSH help me in the situation?
> >
> >Please, clarify your idea for me.
> >
> My apologies, I misunderstood your use. I thought you were simply trying
> to reach a serial port on the remote machine. If so, why can't you SSH
> to the remote machine and use Kermit or a similar tool to access it from
> the remote machine? Or do you really need that serial port accessible
> directly over your local network, for some reason?

I have nothing against SSH using to access remote host with
real character device but I want to have the character device
on that side, that looks like real.

In ideal, I'd like to have /dev/ttyXXX character device file,
which maps to character device of another host, accessible via
network.  Like GNBD for character, not for block devices.

May be I could map pseudoterminal device like /dev/pts/* to external
character device?

--
WBR, i.m.chubin