RE: [Xen-users] Unable to boot a full virtualized guest with two or more

To: "Philippe Berthault" <Philippe.Berthault@xxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Unable to boot a full virtualized guest with two or more processors on a Xeon-VT platform
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 13:22:15 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 04:21:34 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I believe this problem is fixed in 3.0.4 - for certain it's fixed in
unstable which is what I use right now. Unstable will become 3.0.5 in
the next couple of weeks or so.

The main problem is that the BIOS supplied for 3.0.3 doesn't build the
correct MP-tables when you give it multiple processors. You can
manipulate the BIOS image (from memory, there is a setting for number of
processors in the makefile used to generate the BIOS image), but of
course whatever number you choose will be THE number of processors that
the guest gets [unless you build multiple versions of the BIOS and
hvmloader (hvmloader contains a copy of the BIOS which it copies into
the BIOS location in memory, and then jumps to that location). A lot of
work compared to upgrading to a newer Xen-version...

I don't know if there were other problems that needed fixing too (there
may have been), but the BIOS not building the correct information is
definitely a hindrance.
--
Mats