RE: [Xen-users] Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Using the -xen kernel rather than -xen0/U
From: "Nicolai Lang" <nicolai@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2007 11:53:36 +0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 04:06:18 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hey Mats,

> relatively slow speed, I'd expect you're not planning to run
> tens or hundreds of guests... ;-) So is the saving of maybe
> 2-4 megabyte per guest worth the bother of figuring out
> exactly which options in the kernel you actually need and how
> to strip off the bits you don't need?

Thanks, if it is only in that amount then I will run with the combined
kernel (if it aint broke, don't fix it ;) ).

I will be running a max of 10 guests (more like 5-7).

But I have two extra questions that arise as I was playing with my first
guests:

1)
The dom0 is of course installed as AMD64 architechture. I was considering
installing the guests as i386, sincen I then will be able to run them under
my spare (3 year old Dell PE 1600) Xeon server.

Is that a sensible choice?

2)
I choose the processor because it was on stock, reasonably priced, and
because it should support HVM
(http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors), but I do not
see any HVM messages during boot, nor do CPUinfo flags contain the vmx flag.

The processor is an AMD Athlon 64 X2 - 3800+ 2.0GHz BOX - AM2 EE, the
motheboard an Asus M2N-E.

Have I made a blunder? Does the HVM demand a certain motherboard? I'm
attaching cpuinfo and dmesg

Thank's in advance.

Best regards
Nicolai