Re: AW: AW: [Xen-users] xen + vlan: works but...

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: AW: AW: [Xen-users] xen + vlan: works but...
From: Marco Mililotti <m.mililotti@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 13:12:36 +0200
Delivery-date: Wed, 28 Mar 2007 04:11:40 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Angel Lopez wrote:
Is there any howto or reference doc. about this?
I need to setup something like that.

Hi,
I've found suggestion and comments useful on that list. A well done document is that of Felipe Alfaro:
http://felipe-alfaro.org/blog/2006/07/21/xen-network-configuration-and-multiple-vlans/

Essentially it's a matter of:
1- creating a vlan (e.g. with id N) for -- say -- physical eth0
   * modprobe 8021q
   * vconfig add eth0 N
   Now you have an eth0.N
   * ifconfig eth0.N 0.0.0.0 up
2- creating a bridge for that vlan
   * brctl addbr vbridgeN
   * ifconfig vbridgeN 0.0.0.0 up
3- adding the vlan iface to the bridge
   * brctl addif vbridgeN eth0.N
4- create a VM config and inserting it's eth0 on the new vbridgeN
   That could be done as follows in the vm config file:
   * vif = [ 'mac=....., bridge=vbridgeN' ]
5- Now on the VM you con configure it's eth0 with an IP on the
   vlanN

And if your vlan setup is right, all should be working...
Please let me know if you can experiment with UDP traffic and you see my same problem...

Bye,
--
-- Marco Mililotti
Benjamin Franklin