RE: [Xen-users] modifying file-systems in Dom0 while mounted read-only i

To: "Reinhard Brandstädter" <reinhard.brandstaedter@xxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] modifying file-systems in Dom0 while mounted read-only in DomU
From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 15:17:21 +0200
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 06:16:37 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The reason why is simply because the check for "is this already mounted
elsewhere" is done when the guest being created. Since Dom0 can use the regular
"mount command", to mount it later on and mount isn't aware complications such
that Xen introduces to the world, it's allowing you to do it.

As to the "danger": If the filesystem is mounted read-only by DomU, it's not so
bad, but if it's a read/write file-system in DomU, then it's definitely bad.
However, even if it's read-only, you can't know for sure what the DomU is going
to do with the file-system, and it may well get inconsistant data simply
because it reads some new data and uses that in conjunction with some data that
is cached (and since DomU knows it's a read-only file-system, it doesn't need
to check if the data on disk has changed). This  sort of inconsitant data usage
can cause all sorts of problems, ranging from bad data used by application(s)
to system crash or hang.

--
Mats