[Xen-users] Co-scheduling HVM domains...

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Co-scheduling HVM domains...
From: "Roger Cruz" <rcruz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2007 12:34:50 -0400
Delivery-date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 01:23:56 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have a multi-processor, multi-core environment where I will be running an application on one HVM domain A (Windows 2003) and another app in another HVM domain A’ (Windows as well).  There will be multiple instances of this pair combination.  For performance reasons, I would like to find out if there is any way to control the scheduling of the paired domains, such that

1)       if domain A is scheduled on a physical CPU 1, domain A’ is also scheduled at the same time on cpu 2. or

2)       if domain A is scheduled on physical CPU, domain A’ is the next domain to be scheduled on the CPU, even if domain B was the next legal owner of the time slice.

Assigning a higher priority to a domain type (A or A’) may not work because multiple domains of one type may be available simultaneously.  I need to guarantee that once a domain is scheduled, its corresponding pair will run simultaneously (in another CPU) or  immediately after.

I’m new to Xen so forgive me if this is trivial question to which I have not found the answer yet.

Roger Cruz

Principal SW Engineer

Marathon Technologies Corp.

978-489-1153