RE: [Xen-users] Re: Exploiting XEN

On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 15:37 -0700, Kraska, Joe A (US SSA) wrote:
> > A more interesting question is what about underprivileged attempts on
> > dom-0 itself, i.e. non-root users?
>
> *shrug*
>
> I assume that local access implies probable total access. Facet count
> exposures and all that. For myself, I would never let an untrusted user
> onto dom0. EVER. Same with my ESX installations.

Not without *serious* consideration and planning. Being able to offer
parts of xen safely to system users would be really cool, and is
possible to do if a great many what-if's are addressed.

There would obviously need to be a much higher level of trust in those
users and their practices than in users operating as root on guests.

For installations on private research grids or clusters where disposable
infrastructure works, it remains a keen idea and goal. I'd really love
to make Xen more just like a part of Linux up to the privileged level,
just to a degree. Opens up interesting doors.

Anyway, Going off topic now :)

Best,
--Tim