Re: [Xen-users] Have anyone made vnet working? how?

To: "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Have anyone made vnet working? how?
From: "Florian Heigl" <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 12:47:43 +0100
Cc: HU wenjin <wenjin.hu@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 04:47:00 -0700
Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=b5CNfpdOIRoAp6ZJ2RvbCg0Y2Dr/OdEDjptgxI8RSwO8pNox04iy2DhH6zFu/J6e5C9Ii2AC40ihVJPikTienG0qKkKG5kQwEg8uFqJxsJ2EtGf83GqaBwhpbySIvgzq2NAyxwpI19oJR6Ve72MmpL5BR+LKPrvfkc++GndjLqI=
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

2007/3/14, Jerry Amundson <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx>:
On 3/13/07, Florian Heigl <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm afraid vnet is too untested to successfully build or use.
> I think most people are unaware of it, too.

Heh, count me in there...

> Maybe someone could pick this up, fix the install/Makefile error you
> hit and actually _document_ vnet. Then it should be possible to talk
> the distros into including it.
>
> Messing around with bridges while Xen has a better utility is SO
> tedious, especially if one is looking at consolidating whole networks
> into Xen, let aside the security advantages.

Intriguing!

There's two 'public references' to it,
- one post on this or the xen-devel list, by it's developer, somewhere
in middle of last year, and I stumbled over some source code commit
log, once
- in the xen summit pdf's at the xensource site;
there's also something called solarflare I think by a company of
embedded gurus (iirc), which is a highspeed virtual networking
implementation including 802.1q; this is the funniest thing - it was
announced, written about, and is available _nowhere_.

Regards,
Florian