Re: [Xen-users] Mounting domU filesystem on Dom0. (xm mount)

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Mounting domU filesystem on Dom0. (xm mount)
From: Siim Vahtre <siim_@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 13:13:15 +0200 (EET)
Delivery-date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 04:09:55 -0700
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have raised this thing many times in myriad different ways, and to me, Xen still seem to lack the ability to access the domUs in a proper manner so as to allow mass management of the domUs, and one of the important things here is backup. If you have to manage 1000 domUs across 50-60 machines, then it would be essential to be able to take backup of the entire system.

Why not use LVM snapshots? I use snapshot feature to backup domU's from dom0 and I am very satisfied.

This actually can be achieved even on normal Xen system, by running an nfs daemon and exporting the '/' to the dom0, which can then be mounted and backedup, like any live system.

And why not use it?

You can also use shared filesystems like GFS or OCFS2.