[Xen-users] mounting using "xm block-attach" does not work; "special dev

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] mounting using "xm block-attach" does not work; "special device /dev/xvda1 does not exist." error
From: Xu Nakajima <xunakaj@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:58:02 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 00:57:25 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello,
I read the  blktap readme; there is a section there
titled:
Mounting images in Dom0 using the blktap driver.

It says there that you can mount an image by:
xm block-attach 0 tap:aio:<FILENAME> /dev/xvda1 w 0
mount /dev/xvda1 /mnt/disk        <--- don't use loop
driver
This option also appears in:
http://wiki.rpath.com/wiki/Xen_DomU_Guide

I assume that this option is not only for Xen
unstable, but also for Xen releases. (Am I right?)

I tried the following:

I have  xen 3.0.3 (from rpm packages) on Fedora Core 6
on i386.

I had created an domU image using the Virtual Machine
Manager, choosing the ?simple file? option.
This image is : /xenGuest/fc6Guest.

I can start and use this domU successfully using this
image.

In this domU config file, the ?disk=?  line says:

disk = [ 'tap:aio:/xenGuest/fc6Guest,xvda,w', ]

Now I tried to mount it from dom0 , when domU is not
running , thus:
xm block-attach 0 tap:aio: tap:aio:/xenGuest/fc6Guest
/dev/xvda1 w 0

This command was performed probably OK (it did not
emit any error messagge, and in fact it did not emit
any message at all).
and then:
mount /dev/xvda1 /mnt/disk
But I get an error :
Mount: special device /dev/xvda1 does not exist.
Also ls -al /dev/xvda* shows nothing.
But , just for testing, I ran **again**
xm block-attach 0 tap:aio: tap:aio:/xenGuest/fc6Guest
/dev/xvda1 w 0
and then it said:
Error: device /dev/xvda1 (51713,tap) is already
connected.
Usge:..

So I do not understand. Any ideas ???
Am I missing something ? What is wrong here ?

Regards,
Xu