Re: [Xen-users] Which source directory for make

To: Steve Kemp <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Which source directory for make
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 22:27:30 +0800
Cc: Jon Reynolds <jonr@xxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 06:27:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Fri, 2007-03-09 at 10:28 +0000, Steve Kemp wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 01:01:30AM -0900, Jon Reynolds wrote:
>
> > This is what I have in my xen-unstable.hg diretory I want to do a 'make
> > menuconfig; but I am not sure which linux directory to issue it in.
>
>   Download/unpack the source and run:
>
>    make linux-2.6-xen-config CONFIGMODE=menuconfig
>    make linux-2.6-xen-build
>    make linux-2.6-xen-install
>
>   This will just configure, build, and install a xen kernel.
>
>   (Quoted from the tail end of the README file in the top-level
>  Xen source directory.)
>
> Steve

I think he just wants to tweak one already there and is stuck in
buildconfigs/

Just go to the linux tree that you want, i.e.

cd linux-2.6.16.33-xen

and type 'make menuconfig' as usual.

The stuff in buildconfigs/ are default configurations, the ones used to
get you this far. Changing them will change how xen builds those kernels
by default, such as on first build or after a make distclean.

Moreover, if you want a kernel you created to be re-created after a make
distclean, its config needs to find its way into buildconfigs/ , named
after the others you see there, one for each platform.

Best thing to do is just make a clone of the mercurial clone :

hg clone xen-3.0.4-unstable xen-3.0.4-sandbox

Then do your playing in sandbox.

Hope this helps.

Best,
--Tim