[Xen-users] iptables not working on xen 3.0.4 domU

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] iptables not working on xen 3.0.4 domU
From: "Peter Fastré" <peter.fastre@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2007 00:08:22 +0100
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Mar 2007 15:07:53 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have a small hosting company, and we have purchased a new server, which will be divided into several virtual machines. I planned using Xen, because the performance should be great, and I heard a lot of positive comments. So I tried setting it up on a test machine.

First, I tried installing it on Slackware, as this is my premier choice. Probably it's because of my bad knowledge of Xen at that time, but I didn't succeed. Then I followed some tutorials to install Xen, tried several distro's, and finally got it to work on Ubuntu 6.06LTS 64bit.

Great, I thought, because I got Slackware running on my guest domains, and everything seemed to work ok.

There's only one problem, which I can not resolve: iptables v1.3.5: can't initialize iptables table `filter': Bad file descriptor. Perhaps iptables or your kernel needs to be upgraded.

I learned this could be caused by an incompatibility between the (64-bit) kernel and the 32-bit Slackware system. Ok, but what can I do about it? I could use Ubuntu guests, but don't like the idea quitting from slackware. I tried compiling iptables 1.3.7 from source, to no avail. Tried copying a 64-bit iptables executable to my system, but that's not a very bright idea :) (32-bit libc systems can not run 64-bit executables).
Anyway, is this possible and good practice, running a 64-bit dom0 and a 32-bit domU? I saw a lot of people doing that (don't they ever run into problems???), but I just wanted to ask it to you expert people.

I did search this mailing list first, of course. But I don't seem to find anyone with the same problem. All iptables problems I've seen are related to modules not being found, or with the wrong version. Which was the case for me, but I have sorted that out. I have the right modules copied to my domU (with 2.6.16.33-xenU modules), and they are working ok (other modules, I mean, like smbfs or something). But I can't get past this problem.

So I'm really stuck here. I really hope someone can help!