Re: [Xen-users] Full virtualization with physical device

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Full virtualization with physical device
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2007 12:25:23 +0000
Cc: Niv Elad <NIVE@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 04:24:30 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi there,

Is there an existing OS installed on the LV you're trying to use?  Or are you
trying to install to it?  If there is one, how was it loaded - did you use
YaST to install it?

Cheers,
Mark

> I am trying to run DomU installed with Sles10 x86 in full virtualization
> mode.
> I can run it while using VBD disk , however when trying to load  it from
> physical device it just hangs.
>
> Here is a samples from the Domain configuration file -
>
> The following configuration works:
>
> name='vm1'
> device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
> kernel='/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader'
> vcpus=2
> builder='hvm'
> memory=2048
> disk=['file:/xen_imgs/sles10_x86_vmx.img,ioemu:hda,w']
> stdvga=0
> sdl=1
> vnc=0
> vncviewer=0
>
> The following doesn't:
>
> name='vm1'
> device_model = '/usr/lib/xen/bin/qemu-dm'
> kernel='/usr/lib/xen/boot/hvmloader'
> vcpus=2
> builder='hvm'
> memory=2048
> disk=['phy:vgxen01/lv_vm1_hda,ioemu:hda,w']
>
> I am being prompt that the vm was started but it seem to be hang -
>
>     # xm list
>     Name                              ID Mem(MiB) VCPUs State  Time(s)
>     Domain-0                           0    14103     4 r-----   536.2
>     vm1                                1     2048     1 -b----     0.0
>
> Can anyone please advise?
>
> Thanks Niv

> confidential and subject to the Amdocs policy statement, you may review at
> http://www.amdocs.com/email_disclaimer.asp

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!