Re: [Xen-users] Xen administration tools (for multiple Xen servers)?

To: "Tomasz Chmielewski" <mangoo@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen administration tools (for multiple Xen servers)?
From: "Omer Khalid" <Omer.Khalid@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 12:51:06 +0000
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Simons IT-Service <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Wed, 21 Feb 2007 04:50:35 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello Tom,

We had the same need exactly as you. So I wrote a python script, part of the vGrid project at CERN, runs on each of node which have Xen/Libvirt installed.

It provides two views: Detailed view ( Xen), Brief view (Load)

I am attaching the two snapshots.

XenView basically publishes "xm list" command to a web page, and the top layer aggregates the whole cluster.

XenLoad basically shows the host name and the number of virtual machines its running. And there is color code which changes as number of virtual machines increases/decreases. This is very helpful to see at just one glance that what the status over the whole test bed.

The top layer is in PHP, which reads the list of nodes in your cluster from a configuration file. Thus its very configurable and adaptable.

Some one else later proposed to have such a tool on sourceforge, so I would be happy to put it up there and lets the community, together, take care of it. Because these are issues which concerns all of us.

I look forward to the feed back.

Best Regards
Omer

Links:
-------

[1] http://vgrid.web.cern.ch/vgrid/demo/xen.htm
[2] http://vgrid.web.cern.ch/vgrid/demo/load.htm
[3] http://vgrid.web.cern.ch/vgrid/demo/xenview.htm
[4] http://vgrid.web.cern.ch/vgrid/demo/load.htm

On 2/16/07, Tomasz Chmielewski <mangoo@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Simons IT-Service schrieb:
> Hello Tomasz,
>
> I use openQRM to manage my servers.
>
> Look here: www.openqrm.org

This looks a bit like an overkill for me to do these tasks:

>> I'm looking for a tool capable of:
>>
>> - displaying all guests started on separate Xen hosts
>> - migrating guests from one host to another
>> - starting/stopping guests on specified Xen hosts - this should
>> prevent starting/running two same guests on two Xen hosts at the same
>> time

Anything more Xen-specific (like multiple-Xen-hosts enabled "xm"
command, possibly with a basic web interface)?

--
Tomasz Chmielewski
http://wpkg.org

CERN – European Organization for Nuclear
IT Department,  CH-1211 Geneva 23, Switzerland

Phone: +41 (0) 22 767 7996
Fax:     +41 (0) 22 767 4900
E-mail : Omer.Khalid@xxxxxxx
Homepage: http://cern.ch/Omer.Khalid