Re: [Xen-users] Determining server load

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Determining server load
From: Andy Smith <andy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2007 05:42:58 +0000
Delivery-date: Sun, 11 Feb 2007 21:42:47 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, Feb 11, 2007 at 01:32:30PM +0100, Tim Stoop wrote:
> Is there a way to get a clear view of the cpu load and the IO load on
> a complete machine?

It is not the most trivial way to measure things, but you can
calculate CPU usage per domain by the rate at which the cpu time
counters from "xm list" or "xm list --long" increase.  This can be
graphed.

Per device IO load can be gauged from "iostat -x" output, which
works for me since I use LVM for my domU block devices.

It would be great if there were some way to export some CPU and IO
counters for all domU, from dom0 say via SNMP.  I have not found
anything though, and I guess this sort of thing is not a Xen Source
priority.

Cheers,
Andy