Re:[Xen-users] Kernel Panic-not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on

To: olizzs@xxxxxxxx
Subject: Re:[Xen-users] Kernel Panic-not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8, 1)
From: Parissa Heidari <parisa.heidari@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 15:38:15 -0500
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 09 Feb 2007 12:38:11 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,
I was able to fix the same problem without using initrd.
In the menuconfig
device drivers->ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support
   Support for SATA (deprecated; conflicts with libata SATA..
is disabled.
device drivers-> SCSI device support
   SCSI device support
compiled in the kernel (*)
device drivers-> SCSI device support-> SCSI low-level drivers
   Serial ATA (SATA) support
compiled in the kernel (*)

Using these configurations it worked for me very well. Wish it helps you too.

Parissa.
>From: Oli Seubert <olizzs@xxxxxxxx>
>Hi

>I just tried to install Xen (3.0.4) from source.
>The Installation process finished without any errors.

>Then after booting the XEN-Image (without initrd)
>I got a Kernel Panic. My machine said it was unuable to mount root fs from
Sda1 or unknown-block(0,0)

>After some research on google, I built the SCSI and SATA drivers in the
XEN-kernel

>and now this kernel Panic occurs:
>Kernel Panic-not syncing VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

>After that
>I have tried to create an initrd as suggested in
>http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/downloads/files/initrd.txt
>Unfortenetely I wasn't able to compile busybox, so I skipped it

>However when rebooting - no change.

>My machine is a CLFS with CBLFS from linuxfromscratch.org on a notebook with
intel processor Core 2 Duo T7200 and hardware
> and a fujitsu serial ata disk: PM-FUJITSU MHV2120BH with reiserfs

>Is the missing busybox in initrd the problem? can somebody send me a working
initr, if initrd needn't be linked to my kernel or binaries?