Re: [Xen-users] How to receive the IP-address of an Xen instance that is

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to receive the IP-address of an Xen instance that is using DHCP?
From: Gregor Perner <gregor@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:46:24 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 07 Feb 2007 06:46:31 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jochen Hebbrecht wrote:
> a) my Xen instances use DHCP to get internet access, how can I know the
> IP-address of that Xen instance? I could login with the "xm console" and
> do:
> "ifconfig", but this is not a possibilty

If you have access to the dhcp server you just have to bind the
mac-adress of the DomU to a specific IP.
If not, you could use dyndns.org and ddclient installed on your DomU to
update a dns-entry (like myDomU.dyndns.org)
you then just have to wait until the entry is updated (thats usually
quick) and login via the hostname.

> b) when do you know your Xen instance is fully loaded? ( like when it's
> ready for SSH transfer .. )

You can ping the hostname...

hth, gregor

PS: sorry Jochen, i hit the wrong reply-button...