[Xen-users] vbd Sharing

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] vbd Sharing
From: "Florian Heigl" <florian.heigl@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2007 02:53:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Mon, 05 Feb 2007 17:53:27 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I'm currently working on some clustering howto and trying to do my
work with an increasing number of Xen domUs. They run fedora core 6
and are intended to share a number of OCFS2 filesystems, which all
reside on an EVMS volume.

I'm now looking for a _clean_ way of enabling shared rw access. I know
people have already done this, the only documented way I found so far
included hacking /etc/xen/scripts/block to the grade of disabling the
whole check it's intended to do, which isn't 'production grade' :)

I agree blocking shared rw accesses in general is a good thing [tm],
but I wonder what to do about the cases where it's not.

The user guide goes like this:
"If you want read-write sharing, export the directory to other domains
via NFS from domain 0 (or use a cluster file system such as GFS or
ocfs2)."

So, here I am, using OCFS2, and wondering why the manual stops right there.
The /etc/xen/scripts/block seems to simply ignore the fact people
might need shared accesses.
The last big thread on this seems to date back to 2005 and mostly
consists of a discussion what happens by rw sharing a volume without
using a cluster-aware filesystem.
(which is, to be honest, a fun thing to watch)

I could of course map the volumes to my fileserver and generate an
iSCSI target there, but I think I have other ways of maximizing
overhead :)

Any takers?
If not, who do should I submit a patch for 'block' to?

Regards,
Florian

--
'Sie brauchen sich um Ihre Zukunft keine Gedanken zu machen'