RE: [Xen-users] Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?

To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: RE: [Xen-users] Linux software RAID1 (Dom0 or domU)?
From: "Jensen Nathan A Capt USAFA/DFCS" <nathan.jensen@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:04:37 -0700
Delivery-date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:04:42 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Great conversation!

This dovetails nicely into some of the design considerations that I am
now considering.

I have the opportunity to design a new datacenter from the ground up,
and Xen virtualization sounds like an awesome way to go. However, I
would like to try and make things as reliable (while not necessarily
complicated) as possible, since the control center is NOT co-located
with the datacenter.  Money is also somewhat tight.

My initial thoughts go something like this:

1.  Build several robust servers with large RAID storage space
2.  The only purpose for these machines is to serve storage
3.  Use LVM to create partitions on the raid servers as needed
4.  Buy commodity servers to serve as Dom0's
5.  Dom0's can see block devices on large RAID using AoE
6.  DomU's can be created on commodity servers using RAID as storage
7.  Use an NFS share to maintain all of the xen config files

What this buys me:

1.  If commodity server dies, just point a different commodity server at
the right partition and restore
2.  All commodity servers can see RAID LVM partitions -- I can now do
hot-swapping of domU instances -- I don't think I'll need a CFS like GFS
3.  Data storage should be fairly reliable using the RAID servers
4.  I can recover from any failure, (except extreme hardware failure on
a RAID server), without leaving the remote control center

My fear is:

1.  I am totally hosed if my RAID server tanks

What is your take on this configuration?  Does anyone have
recommendations for quickly recovering from a RAID server crash in this
scenario?  What about AoE?  Would I be better served to pay the money
and go fibre-channel?

Thanks for the discussion,
Nate