[Xen-users] Re: DomU boot fails with can't find root on Fedora 6

On Wed, Jan 31, 2007 at 01:21:16PM -0600, Jerry Amundson wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Petersson, Mats <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >Try giving mkinitrd a different fstab that contains no reference to LVM
> >in the root disk... (--fstab=file)
>
> This, for example, I used earlier today...
>
> mkinitrd -f --with=xennet --builtin=aic7xxx --builtin=serverworks
> --preload=xenblk --omit-raid-modules --omit-lvm-modules
> --fstab=/mnt/etc/fstab  /tmp/initrd-2.6.19-1.2895.fc6xen.img
> 2.6.19-1.2895.fc6xen
>
> Values for --builtin pulled from dom0's /etc/modprobe.conf
> (serverworks, for example is not in the xen module tree).
> Assumes domU's root on /mnt...

 Yeah. the problem was the mkinitrd doesnt' give any proper error messages, and
the original suggestion from the fedor list was to give --with=xenblk.ko (note
the extra ko), mkinitrd failed silently, and I kept trying with different
options. Finally I untarred the initrd image and found it didn't have the
xenblk.ko, and also found that mkinitrd will not complain if you give a bogus
module name. Your command as above actually works, though I am now stuck at
another error.

 ksign: module signed with unknown public key
 - signature keyid: 8bdc589434dbc709 ver=3
 Module signed with unknown public key
 insmod: error inserting '/lib/xenblk.ko': -1 Required key not available