Re: [Xen-users] Xen with dom0 requiring initrd

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen with dom0 requiring initrd
From: "Jerry Amundson" <jamundso@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:56:17 -0600
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 12:57:10 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sorry to back this up a bit...

On 1/23/07, Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi folks,

Just wondering if anybody else is using Xen with a Dom0 linux kernel that
relies on intird to boot up?

Umm, or course. The README even states...
   title Xen 3.0 / XenLinux 2.6
      kernel /boot/xen-3.0.gz console=vga
      module /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen root=<root-dev> ro console=tty0
      module /boot/initrd-2.6-xen.img
as a GRUB entry...

I am, because I retrofitted Xen onto a system that was already using LVM
root directories.  So, I need to conifgure my Dom0 to use initrd to load and
configure lvm.

Well, I'm sure LVM root dirs are sort of common... ;-)

 Now, I'd like to upgrade to xen==3.0.4 with domU==2.6.16.33, but I don't
seem to remember how.  I'm pretty sure I used Gentoo's "genkernel" program
to build the initrrd file, but couldn't use it to build the kernel and
modules, so I built them manually using the makefiles.  But beyond that
level of detail, I don't recall.

Eek, so it's some kind of Gentoo ugliness, then? Have you checked Xen-Wiki?

jerry

--
"Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"