[Xen-users] Configuring qemu-dm for use with HVM domU

To: "xen ml" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Configuring qemu-dm for use with HVM domU
From: Derek <xen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 08:30:36 -0700
Delivery-date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:30:33 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi,

I did a little googling and can't seem to find this answer.

I want to know about configuration options for the qemu video card emulation, used by my domU HVM client (Win XP).

Seems like it emulates screen sizes up to 1280x1024 (selectable within XP domU in the usual way -- right click on desktop and go to the display properties tab).  But if I select this 1280x1024 size, the resulting X-window on my host display has a strange property:  it has no scroll bars, even when sized to be smaller than the 1280x1024 client window it represents.  Without scroll bars, I can never get to the start button, which is just off the bottom of the screen .  So, in effect I can't use 1280x1024, and the next size down is 1024x768 which is much smaller than I'd really like.

I was wondering if there's a way to either (1) make the qemu display on the host show scroll bars when it's downsized this way, or (2) better still, configure qemu to emulate other custom sizes less than 1280x1024, but greater than 1024x768.

If neither of the above are true, my next question is, how are people living with these restrictions?   I could try VNC, but I'd hate to give up the snappy response and high quality picture I see under Qemu.

Thanks,
Derek.