Re: [Xen-users] Open SSI paravirtualized kernel available for xen 3?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Open SSI paravirtualized kernel available for xen 3?
From: "Christopher G. Stach II" <cgs@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 02:09:07 -0200
Delivery-date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 20:09:00 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tim Post wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-01-18 at 20:31 -0200, Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
>> If you want something that you have to
>> babysit, and can crash really easily, and use FC3,
>
> I try to avoid Fedora (or yum distros), I much prefer GNU. I was
> considering trying FC3/SSI as a last resort / HVM guest just to get a
> proof of concept up for something. For something like Open SSI, a
> paravirtualized kernel would be ideal.

There's also a Debian branch for it, and you're a big fan.  I really
mentioned FC3 since that's a decent approximation of how current their
kernel patches are.  I probably wasn't clear.

>>  I still don't think
>> anyone is actively working on it.  It hardly feels like anyone is even
>> working on OpenSSI these days.
>
> I noticed that too. I try not to complain about projects not releasing
> (heck I'm a Debian user, I'm used to it) .. but I do get a little
> irritated if it starts to look like a project should be passed on to
> others, but isn't being passed on. I think the developers are working on
> things much cooler now (professionally) , going back to Open SSI for
> them would be like going back to Duplo after using Leggos.
> Understandable.

I dunno.  I think RDMA is pretty cool to work on. :)

>>   A few people have mentioned it, and I'm
>> interested in it, but you'd probably have to roll your own.
>
> I'll keep digging in the off chance I find someone who picked it up and
> has gotten somewhere. I'd rather help someone else finish rather than
> start from square-0 needlessly. But if I can't find someone else mucking
> with it, I'll probably do it myself. When the Xen / IB stuff is done /
> stable / working, Mosix (and clusters using some kind of Mosix plugin)
> will get new life, I think. It's a worth while effort to at least get
> started on paravirtuzlizing one of them up to 3.0.4 so other efforts can
> be dropped into place once completed.

I'd love nothing more than to have PV SSI nodes on Xen for scalable HA
SSI clusters on only a few bigass machines.  I'm afraid it's just not
time. :(

--
Christopher G. Stach II