Re: [Xen-users] RAM partitioning??

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] RAM partitioning??
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2007 05:09:55 +0000
Cc: Gregory Gee <gregory.gee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:09:32 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>   So I finally got around to getting a new PC to try out Xen.  Trying to
> remember all the tips I have heard over the past several months.  One
> thing i have figured out is how much to allocated for RAM to each dom.
> If I am using bridges, do I need to add extra RAM to the domU.  I heard
> somewhere that the amount of RAM for the dom0 depends on the amount of
> traffic over the bridges?  Is that true?  I was planning on only giving
> he dom0 64MB of RAM and intall the ubuntu-server which has a small
> footprint.

There have been various recommendations as to the amount of RAM required in
dom0.  I'd usually go with 128meg - 256meg.  64meg might be OK, but I think
it's about as small as you'd want to go (this based on chatter I've heard
previously on the mailing list :-)

I'm not sure whether bridge traffic ought to result in much more memory usage
in dom0...   Especially not if there's little intra-host communication (i.e.
mostly talking to the external network).  Where did you hear this?

Make sure you set dom0_mem on the Xen command line rather than relying on auto
ballooning to take memory away from dom0.  Set an appropriate minimum dom0
memory in xend-config.sxp (or disable auto ballooning altogether).  If you
use autoballooning to shrink dom0 by a lot, it eventually leads to weird
memory crunches in dom0's kernel, which breaks things and spews alarming
warning messages all over dmesg.

Hope that helps you somewhat.  Good luck!

Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.
Mark: My wheel has a wheel!