Re: [Xen-users] forcing disk in read only also if mounted

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] forcing disk in read only also if mounted
From: Daniele Palumbo <daniele@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:45:27 +0100
Delivery-date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 04:44:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Tuesday 16 January 2007 13:28, Petersson, Mats wrote:
> You have a module that drives some hardware that is not that frequently
> accessed. The OS has loaded the necessary parts of the module to
> initialize it.
[...]
> That would be pretty bad, right? [I don't know
> if modules are demand loaded - maybe they are all loaded as a big
> chunk].
[...]
> Applications for certain are demand loaded, so if you have some
> application (such as gcc, Apache server or whatever), then the above
> scenario would certainly apply!

the idea if that a script, at boot time:
- mount the volume
- do an uname -a (or something like that) to find out the real modules
directory
- if content is changed (diff? rsync?), then copy new files
- umount the volume

so, in this scenario it just don't fit into a schema.

otherwise, the idea is to mount the volume directly in /lib/modules, but in
this case an user cannot use his own module (that can be also a "security
feature").
then, kernel will know in which directory search modules.

the only "bad" scenario can came out when i upgrade modules for a certain
kernel, so i am excluding that option.

also, it will be written in faq for domu's user.
and they will know that... all sort of.

> Here's an idea:
> Whenever you build a new version of modules (or whatever shared files
> you care to have), you create a new directory to build them in:
>
> /libv001/modules
> /libv002/modules
> Etc, etc.
> Then create a link /lib/modules -> /libv001/modules that is used for the
> currently running domains. When you next decide to restart your domains,
> you change the link to point to the new set of modules.

that is almost what i am planning to do, except for symlinking :)

bye
d.