[Xen-users] Xen 3.0 Questions

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Xen 3.0 Questions
From: Matthew Wolff <wolffm2002@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 19:19:35 -0800 (PST)
Delivery-date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 02:45:55 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello, I am new to the world of Xen. I realize the
purpose of this mailing list is not for you all to
answer "newbie" questions, but the Xen website ranks
me as a second rate citizen (no forum for open source
or non-commercial beginners?).

My first impression was that I needed a modified Host
OS to run as dom0 and then I could run umodified
versions of linux (kernal 2.6 according to the wiki)
as VMs. Then I read something that says that only
certain distros are supported as domU guests. And then
I read tonight that any linux version with kernal 2.6
can run as an unmodified guest OS. So my question is
this: if I have a ported host OS (say one of the four
from the Xen website) can I run ANY linux distro
(unmodifed) as a guest OS? If not, do I need an Intel
VT/AMD-v (or whatever its called) enabled processor in
order to do so?

Any and all information is very much appreciated!

Thank you all very much,
Matt Wolff