Re: [Xen-users] Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend de

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Backend device not found. when using network-route
From: "Timo Czerny" <timo@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 04:51:36 +0100
Delivery-date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 19:50:22 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 04:41:30 +0100, Kevin Blackwell <akblackwel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Timo,

Did SuSE work for you out the box? I've tried openSuSE 10.2 and Novell SuSE 10.0 and neither install brings up the network after a fresh install. If any
what post install config changes did you make?

Not directly, the setup i made in suse 10.1 might seem a little uncommon:
I use original 10.1 suse packages for xen, so not self compiled thing. My xend-config.sxp is here:

(xend-relocation-server yes)
(xend-address '')
(xend-relocation-hosts-allow '^localhost$')
(network-script network-route)
(vif-script vif-bridge bridge=xenintbr)
(dom0-min-mem 128)
(dom0-cpus 0)

To make it work, i had to put this into /etc/xen/scripts/network-route:

echo 1 >/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
brctl addbr xenintbr
brctl stp xenintbr off
brctl sethello xenintbr 0
brctl setfd xenintbr 0
ifconfig xenintbr 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 up
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j MASQUERADE

I did not use (network-script network-brige) in xend-config.sxp since the first time i got locked out by my ISP due to MAC spoofing caused by that. I tried the above commands one-by-one and as it worked i decided to settle with this "manual" setup, instead of risking getting locked out again. On the domU(s) i use usual 192.168.1.* static ip adresse and add 192.168.1.1 as the default gateway, servies could be forwarded via iptables (or SuSEFirewall2 script).

Hope this helps for you,

Greetz Timo