Re: [Xen-users] P2V Migration of Windows

Henning Sprang wrote:
On 1/12/07, Bill Denney <denney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
This is not the same.  Migrations are for moving without downtime.  P2V
is just what it says, moving physical to virtual.

But, as I said, this migration without downtime premise is, in my
opinion, only possible with either virtualization that supports live
migration, or with a high availabilty setup for your services.
[snip]
Maybe my idea of "no downtime" is wrong. For me it means:
All services on the machine are fully accessible with no performance
loss and reachable under the same DNS name, IP address, and port
before and after the migration. Running transactions are not rolled
back, but continued on the new system. No outside system or human
realizes the switch and needs to change it's behaviour to use the
continued service.
I think that we are miscommunicating. P2V does not generally have this "no downtime" guarantee; P2V is for the ability to rapidly move a working physical installation to a virtual installation. It is not for services to continue uninterrupted. Think of it more as similar to a scheduled reboot as opposed to a reinstallation.

I think that for everything else, we'll just need to agree to disagree on the usefulness of such a tool.

Bill