[Xen-users] Problem booting dom0 - can't find partition

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Problem booting dom0 - can't find partition
From: "Deepa S" <deepsrnv@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 09:42:23 -0500
Delivery-date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 06:42:19 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I'm having issues booting dom0 where it fails since it cannot find the
boot partition.

Details:
This is on a 32-bit system.

I installed SLES10 and chose the Xen packages along with it. This Xen
kernel boots fine. But when I extract xen-unstable (on Jan 9th), build
it, build an initrd for it and boot it, dom0 boot fails. (Before
building Xen from source, I moved all the xen files installed by SLES
in /boot to another directory). Below are the exact messages when the
failure occurs:
hda: TOSHIBA MK4019GAXB, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
Waiting for device /dev/hda1 to appear:........... not found --
exiting to /bin/sh
$

After this, the keyboard locks up and I can't do anything except power
cycle the system.

I compared the contents of the initrd installed by SLES and the one I
built and the only thing that differs is the init file. I'm attaching
both versions of init here.

I'm also attaching the dmesg output from the successful boot of the
Xen kernel from SLES. Here's the same part of the output as the
failing one above:
SvrWks CSB5: IDE controller at PCI slot 0000:00:0f.1
SvrWks CSB5: chipset revision 147
SvrWks CSB5: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
  ide0: BM-DMA at 0x0700-0x0707, BIOS settings: hda:DMA, hdb:DMA
  ide1: BM-DMA at 0x0708-0x070f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
Probing IDE interface ide0...
hda: TOSHIBA MK4019GAXB, ATA DISK drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
hda: max request size: 128KiB
hda: 78140160 sectors (40007 MB), CHS=65535/16/63, UDMA(66)
hda: cache flushes supported
hda: hda1 hda2
Probing IDE interface ide1...
ReiserFS: hda1: found reiserfs format "3.6" with standard journal
ReiserFS: hda1: using ordered data mode
reiserfs: using flush barriers
ReiserFS: hda1: journal params: device hda1, size 8192, journal first
block 18, max trans len 1024, max batch 900, max commit age 30, max
trans age 30
ReiserFS: hda1: checking transaction log (hda1)
ReiserFS: hda1: Using r5 hash to sort names

One thing I noticed while building the initrd is that it complained
about not finding dependencies for the "edd" module. I looked at SLES
docs, and it says to ignore the error.

I'm also attaching the boot config file here.

Any pointers on what's happening here or how I can debug this problem further?

Thanks,
Deepa