Re: [Xen-users] Re: vif could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not work

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 21:56 +0000, John Hannfield wrote:
> Thanks for the quick reply Tim,
>
> My  /bin/sh is linked to  /bin/bash   so it's not that.
> When I do a xm create I only see output in the xend.log
> there's nothing added to xen-hotplug.log at all....
> not a good sign!

Indeed. Seems your server is being selfish and sharing errors only with
itself.

> However a few days ago it was working, and I had entries in daemon.log like:
>
> Jan  8 12:49:59 dom0 logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: ifconfig
> debtest down failed

This means, ifconfig debtest down failed (or exited with something other
than zero), my guess is you passed a vifname=debtest to the vm's vif
config.

> Jan  8 12:50:00 dom0 logger: /etc/xen/scripts/vif-bridge: Successful
> vif-bridge offline for debtest, bridge xenbr0.

The vif-bridge script, despite ifconfig exiting with something other
than zero decided everything was fine.

> Jan  8 12:50:00 xenbox2 logger: /etc/xen/scripts/xen-hotplug-cleanup:
> XENBUS_PATH=backend/vif/22/0

.. and it seems, everything was.

Are you sure nothing with regards to networking changed at all between
now and then? Did you (per chance) happen to install zeroconf, either
itself or as part of another package via aptitude suggestion? This
actually sounds like zeroconf may be to blame.

A few dozen other packages have it as a suggested package, some as a
dependency. I tried to get a list together of what packages suggest it
or install it so I could note to watch out for them, but never got
around to figuring out how to figure it out, if that makes sense :)

Is there any mapping going on in /etc/network/interfaces that wasn't
before, per chance?

A dpkg -l | grep zeroconf may turn it up.

> Are you running on debian etch?

No, I did not abandon Debian (I really, really love Debian) but I
switched production gears over to Ubuntu while etch is in its infancy ->
adolescent stage.

> Do you have the /etc/hotplug/xen-backend.agent  ?

On the few servers that I have for testing Etch, no.. and they seem to
be working well as far as Xen is concerned. However, I'm running 3.0.2
on the few I have running Etch, and got some help from sarge backports
to get them going.

Good luck tracking this down, hope this is of some help.

Best,
--Tim