[Xen-users] Re: 100% safe way to backup domU: (was Yet another backup)

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 09:27:40AM +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 12 Jan 2007 at 2:09, Ligesh wrote:
>
> [...]
> >  I forgot about the 'save' feature. If we have a consistent file system
> > that can be mounted and backed up, and if we add the ram separately, the we
> > have the entire state of the system. So I think the actual steps would be.
> >
> >  xm sync-and-save domU file
>
> Complete overkill IMHO: When having a say 8GB virtual RAM DomU, saving of the
> virtual RAM takes a very long time (several minutes).

 I am talking about 1000 domUs each having 64MB ram. I think we are looking
from different perspectives here. Xen currently does have a save feature, and
it uses it for live migration, so as such save is not an overkill. The only
problem is the file system consistency. But if you don't mind kill -9ning your
application, then you can avoid the ram, but I dont' think it is huge, seeing
the current saved domU files.

 Thanks.