Re: [Xen-users] Memory squeeze in netback driver

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Memory squeeze in netback driver
From: Borut Mrak <b@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 22:15:51 +0100
Delivery-date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 13:15:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:
YOu need to set a dom0_mem on the Xen command line, as described by the other poster.

This did not work for us. It did improve the situation, but we still have crashes twice a week (instead of daily).

HW:
Intel Xeon (both 50xx and 51xx exhibit the same problem)
Intel 5000 chipset (motherboards from Intel and Tyan)
Areca PCIe RAID (1200 series)
8GB of RAM (around 6 used in 8 VMs, including dom0_max_mem=512MB)

SW:
Debian Etch
Xen 3.0.3
Kernel 2.6.17 (the one in Debian), patched with:
  * arcmsr driver from Areca
  * newer e1000 driver from Intel (integrated PCIe NICs on these boards
    are not supported on 2.6.17)

If you don't do this dom0 takes all the system memory and balloons itself down in order to start domains. ISTR the ballooning confuses Linux's memory allocator somehow, and this shows up impacting the net driver.

As you see from above, no balooning is going on here. dom0_max_mem is set to 512MB, and all other domains combined still leave at least a GB or two free.

Setting dom0_mem explicitly on the Xen commandline means that the auto ballooning isn't necessary (although you may still want to switch off auto-ballooning and/or set a new minimum dom0 memory level so that dom0 will *never* get shrunk, even if you run out of other memory)

Does this make some sense? Hopefully it'll fix your problem, please let us know.

Thank you for this suggestion. I will try setting dom0-min-mem to 0 and see what happens. I'll report here.

Is it necessary to reboot the whole machine for this setting to take effect, or is restarting xend enough?

regards,
Borut Mrak.