Re: [Xen-users] Re: How to start installing a Quad-Devel-Station?

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Re: How to start installing a Quad-Devel-Station?
From: Mark Williamson <mark.williamson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 17:36:20 +0000
Cc: Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@xxxxxxxxxx>
Delivery-date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 09:34:01 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > as far as I know grub cannot handle multiboot kernels and their modules.
> > You might want to have a look at mbootpack[1].
>
> Ehm, -- Grub AND Lilo can handel Multiboot kernels.
>
> The proble is that MY MAINBOARD does not like Grub and Lilo works
> for me for 8 years now.  My current Develstation IS MULTIBOOT since
> I have for each Debian Release a singel SCSI 9/4.5 GByte Drive.
>
> The problem is only in booting the Xen-Kernel.

"multiboot" in this context doesn't refer to booting multiple OS kernels.
It's a specific standard for a kernel<->bootloader interface, which is
implemented by Grub but not by lilo.  I think it actually originates from the
Grub people, but is also supported by a few other bootloaders.

A particular feature which we use: multiboot allows one to pass
several "modules" to the kernel being booted.  Under Grub, multiboot is used
to boot xen.gz as the kernel, and pass a vmlinuz and an initrd to Xen as
modules (these are then used to start dom0).

To boot Xen on your current system you could:
* use the mbootpack tool previously mentioned to package Xen and the dom0
kernel into a single image bootable by lilo as the "kernel"
* use kexec to boot into Xen from your existing install.  Kexec can support
compiled into your kexec tools.

Hope that helps clarify things, please let us know if you have any more
questions.
Cheers,
Mark

> All other kernels (2.4.27, 2.4.32, 2.6.8, 2.6.16 and 2.6.18) are
> booting fine.
>
> Since I was not able to compile my own Xen-Kernel under Debian,
> I have used the ones distributed By Debian.
>

> Greetings
>     Michelle Konzack
>     Systemadministrator
>     Tamay Dogan Network