[Xen-users] Linux Traffic Shaping concept for Xen

To: Ligesh <xen@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Linux Traffic Shaping concept for Xen
From: Timo Benk <timo.benk@xxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 10:23:06 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 01:23:12 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ligesh wrote:
>   Btw, I would prefer a simplified version, just to limit the incoming and
> outgoing traffics. Nothing else.
:-) Well, shaping in- and outgoing traffic is not simple with Xen and tc :-)

I will share the idea, explaining the whole setup is far beyond a
single posting.

tc only allows you to shape outgoing traffic. That is the main problem.
You have two (well, maybe three) opportunities to shape also the
incoming traffic.

1. The simple solution: Add a router between the LAN and your Xen host.
Here you can shape the traffic at the in- and outgoing interface without
problems.

2. The complex solution: Instead of a dedicated router, create a
gateway-domain with two interfaces. One interface is connected to the
bridge xenbr0, the other interface is connected to a second bridge, xenbr1.

 ----
|    ----- xenbr0
| gw |                 -------
|    ----- xenbr1 -----       |
 ----                 | domUs |
                      |       |
                       -------

To make the shaping process transparent in the gateway-domain, create
another bridge inside the gateway-domain and connect the two interfaces
to this bridge.

 ------
|    ----- xenbr0
| gw |||                -------
|    ----- xenbr1 -----        |
 ------                | domUs |
                       |       |
                        -------

All the other DomUs are only connected to the bridge xenbr1.

That way all the traffic from all DomUs is going through xenbr1 to the
bridge inside the gateway-domain to the bridge xenbr0 and finally to the
LAN. In short: all traffic passes the gateway-domain.

That makes it possible to shape the traffic at the in- and outgoing
interface of the gateway domain.

3. Use IMQ. In my opinion the simplest and best solution, however, IMQ
is no part of the standard kernel and the patch does not work anymore
with the xen kernel.

HTH,
Greetings,
-timo