Re: [Xen-users] any tool to retrieve host info from guest and vice versa

On Fri, 2007-01-05 at 14:11 -0200, Christopher G. Stach II wrote:
> Tim Post wrote:
> > For goodness sake, I only offered it to someone who wanted something
> > simple and an alternative to snmp.
> >
> > That will be the *last* time I offer anything on this list :) I'm not
> > competing with nagios, I don't want to spend time writing a complex
> > network monitor, all I wanted to do was share something useful as-is. He
> > didn't want a network monitor, all he wanted was vitals and hardware
> > info.
> >
> > The code is there, its free. If you find it useful for something, use
> > it, else don't .. I really don't care :)
>
> I was only suggesting that you turn it into a Nagios plugin so that
> everyone who uses Nagios would have an alternative or supplement to the
> standard set.  Running nrpe isn't going to destroy your machine's
> performance. :)  I only see Nagios as an aggregator, so that's not
> exactly comparable to what you have.  The plugins leave a lot to be
> desired in many cases, so that may be where you would compete.

I must have read you the wrong way. Again, I have no desire to compete
with nagios, its just something I had which someone may have been able
to make use of so I linked to it.

Then I get 20+ off list replies about how I should have written it, and
some on list replies telling me nagios is better.. Just not worth the
aggravation when all I was doing was sharing one small building block
that someone else may have been able to make use of in a custom solution
geared for small memory model systems (as I said, its 7k stripped and
rides completely in dentry).

99.9% of the emails I received were downright hostile. Just not worth
it :)

Best,
--Tim