Re: [Xen-users] how to start X in the guest domain

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] how to start X in the guest domain
From: Thomas Miller <tmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:36:55 -0500
Delivery-date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 18:37:04 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mark Williamson wrote:
Assuming you guys are having problems with X in the domu...

3.0.3 doesn't have support for a graphical framebuffer. The most straightforward way to get graphical apps to run would be to connect to the domain from dom0 using ssh -X so that graphical apps are displayed within your dom0 desktop. This is just treating the domUs as if they were separate machines.

3.0.4 contains support for a graphical framebuffer so you can run X within the guest directly.

I've written some instructions below for you guys, in case you want to try this. There might be mistakes, or omissions, so please please exercise caution! Feel free to ask on anything you're not sure about.

You'd need to upgrade to 3.0.4, edit Config.mk to change XENFB_TOOLS to =y and do a make-install tools. This'll give you the dom0 components for accessing the framebuffer.
where is config.mk? I don't seem to have this on my host (dom0). Is this something I need to do in the guest (domU)? make "-install" doesn't seem to be an option for make. Unfortunately I am a newbie with this stuff so I need exacting instructions.
The, compile a domU kernel with framebuffer support in (it's selectable in the kernel menuconfig). If you want to be able to run virtual terminals on the framebuffer, you'd also need to select the generic Linux options for the framebuffer console. I'd recommend you do this.
Lost me here.  kernel menuconfig?
Configure the domain to run a getty on /dev/ttyS0, add the following line to /etc/inittab, just after the lines starting the other gettys on your system:
S0:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty ttyS0

add ttyS0 to /etc/securetty or /etc/securettys (whichever you have). This is to enable root login on ttyS0.

Once this is done, change your config file for the domain to include the following:

add "xencons=ttyS0 console=ttyS0 video=xenfb"
Which config specifically?
This redirects your console to go through ttyS0, where you're now running a getty.
Just trying to learn something new. Why ttyS0 and not tty1 ?
Now add the following to the domain's config file:
vfb=['type=sdl']
to get a local display of the domain's framebuffer

*or*

vfb=['type=vnc']
to export the display over VNC.  Change this to:
vfb=['type=vnc,vnclisten=ipaddr']
substituting the ip address of an interface, if you want the VNC server to listen to connections on some network (default is to listen on localhost).

Now try booting the domain and see if it works :-) For VNC, the display will be exported on port 5900 + domain_id.

If anything doesn't work and you want to get back into the guest in the "normal" way, just remove the "xencons=ttyS0 console=ttyS0 video=xenfb" and the vfb= line from its config file and you should be able to boot it normally. Otherwise, you could mount the guest's filesystem directly (after shutting it down!!!!!) and fix config there.

Again, these instructions might include mistakes, or omissions, so please please exercise caution! Feel free to ask on anything you're not sure about.

If you try it, please let us know how it works (or if it doesn't!)

Hope that helps you some.

Cheers,
Mark
Once I get through the first of this I will try to tackle the rest. Thanks so much for helping!!!!

--
Thomas Miller
Chrome Portal Project Manager

http://www.bss-software.com