Re: [Xen-users] 64-bit xen dell server experience?

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 04:26 -0800, John Shen wrote:
> I am wondering if there are any good or bad experiences with XEN 3.0.3 on
> dell servers.

> Any information or links would

> be greatly appreciated, especially the performance and stability.

> We have been running XEN 3.0.2 on 32-bit servers generally fine,

> with occasiona kernel crashes (once in half a year or so with about 10 vms,

> so not too bad), but are looking into 64-bit systems. Thanks!
>
> System Coordinator, Online Information System
> Student Affairs, University of California, Office of the President

I've never had a problem with Dell's mid - high end servers on the
occasions that AMD just was not an option due to client preference or
needing to use what's existing.

I really *really* prefer and recommend AMD, my favorite board maker is
Tyan, if this helps at all.

In the business I'm in its all about squeezing every last drop out of
every server, and AMD (in my experience) just lends so much better to
what I do, both in value and stability, 32 and 64 bit.

My AMD boxes (xen) are nearing 1 year up time in some cases.. (older
versions of Xen so this may not apply to you), my Intel boxes need
rebooting for various reasons about every 3 months (all versions). My
SQL heavy (or any other I/O intense guest) are much happier on our
Opterons.

We're playing heavily with the new X2's with fantastic, stable,
predictable results with various HVM guests, and AMD is very active on
this list, which I think is really neat.

I'm not saying one is better than the other.. I'm just saying I've had
far less headaches with AMD. I don't use any processor to its full
capabilities so I'm not nearly an authority.. but my clusters rely on
AMD, some of them 150 + nodes now.

Hope this is of some help in making your decision.

Best,
Tim