Re: [Xen-users] usage of the extra parameter in vm configs

After using xen for quite some time, I just start to wonder what the
"extra" value in the vm config is good for.

extra is just a placeholder for misc kernel arguments. Any random arguments you might want to pass through can be specified there and they'll get tacked onto the end of the kernel command line. These might be special options for kernel behaviour, or for some driver, or to be parsed from /proc/cmdline by a userspace program within the guest OS.

It doesn't really have a specific purpose. :-)

We'd actually been talking about replacing the current "root=", "extra=" etc. arguments with a single "cmdline=" which would contain the entire kernel commandline - in the same way that a normal bootloader might. This would make the process of setting the command line a little more transparent.

It's certainly safe to not use it if not required...

Does this answer your question satisfactorily?

HTH,
Cheers,
Mark

The example configs explain it can be used to set the runlevel - but i
never removed this option, so it was alwas  there and set to the
default 4 from the example, and still all my debian domUs start fine
in runlevel 2 as usual.
So I wonder if there's some real-world example of using the extra variable.

Henning