Re: [Xen-users] How to setup network configuration in guest domain.

To: tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] How to setup network configuration in guest domain.
From: "trilok nuwal" <tc.nuwal@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 17:03:46 +0530
Cc: Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Fri, 29 Dec 2006 03:34:03 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi Tim,
Thanks for the update.

I am using FC5.

As your first way to provide one more ip to guest as a different machine.
This looks fine for me. But how the mac address are configured for interface card in guest domain and what values are given to mac addresses. Is it can be anything ?.

What is relation between vif in config file and mac address for interface card in guest doamin.
Is the mac in vif in config file and mac for interface card in guest domain dhould be same.

example:
My dom0 IP 139.185.48.204

and config file for configuration file contains vif
vif = [ 'mac=FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF , ip=139.185.48.214 , bridge=xenbr2']

Now tell me, Is mac of eth0 in guest domain should be FE:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF as in vif and same as IP.

I also want that my mchines should be pingable from each other.

This is bit confusing for me.

Thanks,
Trilok

On 12/29/06, Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Fri, 2006-12-29 at 14:59 +0530, trilok nuwal wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to setup network congfiguration in my guest domain. How this
> can be setup so that my dom0 should be pingable  from my guest domain.
> Because i wanted to mount NFS location to my guest domain.
>
> Thanks in advance for help.
>
> Trilok

You would do this as you would normally. For all intensive purposes,
dom-0 and your guest can be counted as two completely separate machines.
I'm assuming dom-0 has an IP, just provide one for your guest.

Another useful way of doing this is bringing up a second bridge that
doesn't port any physical ethernet device, and using it as you would a
dumb ethernet switch. This lets you have a public and private network,
the private being between the guests themselves and dom-0. Each guest
gets 2 vif's, one using the public bridge, one using the dummy (private)
bridge.

If you give an indication of what OS you're using on dom-0, it would be
easier to give some examples or better pointers. I'm happy to help with
anything GNU .. but don't often venture into Fedora or other yum-ish
distros with bridged networking or Xen.

Best,
-Tim