Re: [Xen-users] VM accessing Hosts hard disk

On Dec 24 2006, Thomas Miller wrote:

Andrew McGregor wrote:
Thomas Miller wrote:
I want to be able to have a shared drive that the VMs can access from the host machine.

Basically I have downloaded install files from the internet into a directory on the host and would like to copy them to the VM to run vs re-downloading them from the internet.

Samba? FTP? scp? Just pick any network service - not really a Xen issue.

I am really new to all this stuff and wasn't sure if there was a trick way with Xen or some standard method. I will probably use Samba as I have that already set up. Thanks all of you.

Didn't get round to responding to this earlier, but thought I'd add my $0.02 worth...

When doing any kind of communication between two domains, it's almost always appropriate to think of them as being two separate machines. As a result, you generally share files in the same way as with separate servers. The three main approaches of this type being:

1) scp ;-) 2) use some kind of network block device and a cluster filesystem [in the Xen case, you might also share the same block device directly, to avoid the overhead of virtual network] 3) network filesystem - usually NFS or Samba

Direct sharing of disk drives can be an option, but sharing block-level drives without using a cluster filesystem can easily cause upsets. You can have multiple read-only users of a block device, or a lone writeable user. You can't mix readers and writers at the same time (it confuses the readers) and you certainlycan't have multiple writers (it trashes the FS). Careful read-only exporting of block devices, and careful use of the mount command can help to prevent you from breaking things if you go down this route...

Finally, there's my pet project: XenFS. This behaves to the user much like NFS, but is implemented to use Xen's shared memory protocols directly, instead of using the virtual network. I imagine this is the kind of thing you might have had in mind when you asked your original question ;-) XenFS is a long way off being stable though, so unless you like to play with hairy code I'd recommend you stick with your network filesystem approach :-)

Sorry for rambling, it's getting late!

Cheers,
Mark