[Xen-users] Wallclock Changing Woes

To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] Wallclock Changing Woes
From: Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 01:36:00 +0800
Delivery-date: Sat, 23 Dec 2006 09:36:18 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hello all,

I have several Xen installations where I've seriously goofed, I forgot
to adjust settings so each guest has an independent clock.

All of the machines (3 of them) are supporting between 30 and 50 guests,
half of those guests need independent clocks for various reasons. All
are paravirtualized kernels running something yum-ish.

Changing the setting will not adversely effect any guest, however half
of the guests (who don't need an independent clock) are running
experiments that can not be interrupted if at all avoidable.

Does anyone know if altering the setting in /proc also requires a
re-start of Xend or reboot to take effect?

I'm in an odd position where half of an office is ready to lynch me if I
don't change it, and half will be ready to lynch me if their dom-u is
interrupted.

This is a R&D effort with very limited funding, so even live migration
of those who need the change to another machine isn't going to be
possible.

I'm hesitant to even try it blindly, hopefully someone else ran into
this. As it stands now I have a small hand full of 'villagers' gathered
outside of my door with proverbial torches.

Help :)

Best,
-Tim