Re: [Xen-users] Xen/Windows on AMD; use of PCI / USB

Subject: Re: [Xen-users] Xen/Windows on AMD; use of PCI / USB
From: gw <gw@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2006 01:16:44 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:16:48 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Petersson, Mats schrieb:
>> [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
>> Gerhard Wendebourg

>> since I found, that AMD is suitable to work with Windows on Xen, the
>> additional question for the use of physical PCI / USB Devices by the
>> Windows-guest.

> No, it's not possible for HVM domains to use hardware directly, and will
> not be until:

But my question was NOT for HVM-Domains but for the use of Windows.

Is HVM the only way for the use of Windows with XEN?

> 1) There is IOMMU in the hardware.

Does each PCI-device need IOMMU-implementation for support?
(I presume the capability of the cpu)
> AND
> 2) There is software to support the hardware in Xen.

Does this mean, I need for each part of hardware a Xen-enabled driver?

If things are that way, Windows may be only usable without access to the
hardware or are there reasonable options of accessing hardware unthrough
the Xen-virtualization (if I think about PCI and USB-Devices?

Without the use / access of hardware I don't recognize much need for the
use of windows in general (and I hardly understand that kind of people,
who consider the running of a windows-server: why should I do that, if
I'm having linux?)

Is there anywhere an explanation about what kind of options are in reach
, when using Windows on XEN - and don't want to know the capabilities of
IOMMU or HVM, but just the combo of XEN and Windows (and maybe AMD) with
any kind of technology or software-implementation, that's current or in
the near future available.

thanx / GW