Re: [Xen-users] which kernel does guest use?

To: Ulrich Windl <ulrich.windl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Xen-users] which kernel does guest use?
From: Jan Kalcic <jandot@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 17:56:15 +0100
Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Delivery-date: Wed, 20 Dec 2006 08:56:54 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 19 Dec 2006 at 18:14, Tom Horsley wrote:
>

>> On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:16:18 +0100
>> "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> You're welcome, still, please read some docs before asking questions
>>> here that are obviously well documented.
>>>
>> I've been trying to figure out this stuff for a while now, and I
>> can state with absolute certainty that there are NO well documented
>> issues :-).

That's exaclty what I'd though before posting here.

> But (I hope you'll agree): XEN uses the kernel to boot a VM that was
> specified in
> either the configuration file or command line. We'd expect people to read
> that
> much documentation before asking which kernel will be used.
>
> Another part of the documentation says that an unmodified kernel won't work
> for
> paravirtualization. That answers at least one further question.

I agree. Documentation talks about what you say but the answer to my
question is not written on doc. Just because I ask an "explanation".
As I said, I read carefully the documentation but I couldn't clearly
understand that concept. I've just asked to better understand what I
couldn't really get by myself about this new world (at least for me) of
Xen. That's it. I eventually managed to install both full and
paravirtualized machines on my system, I played with file disk and
whatever. Right now I run a virtual/virtual cluster and I did everything
from scratch. Thank documentation! So, let me say that this is not the
case of "RTFM".

Let me add a note. Honestly, I like when people want to know, people ask
and I'm happy when I can give an advice which let someone else learns
something new. Obvioulsy, I don't like when people ask something written
on the "homepage" or in the FAQ but I don't behave like "you're lazy,
you're stupid, you can't even read!!". People is allow to not understand
and I can't see the fact that someone has to be scared of posting in
mailing lists. "Did I really read all the documentation?? Did I really
check on google?? Did I spent at least two nights before posting?? Will
they think I have to be restarted??"
Nothing personal guys, but I like saying what I think. I'd take it
easier and when someone ask something really stupid, I just smile. :)

Jan