[Xen-users] Makefile warning, note and patch

To: xen <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Xen-users] Makefile warning, note and patch
From: Mike Wright <xktnniuymlla@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:03:42 -0800
Delivery-date: Mon, 18 Dec 2006 12:02:48 -0800
Sender: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

(This is working with xen-3.0.2-2)

I needed to add some iptables extensions to my "xenified" linux kernel and encountered a few difficulties. Maybe someone can benefit from what I've learned.

cd'ing to the linux tree and trying the traditional "make *config, make, make modules_install, make install" doesn't work any more. The build instructions must be done from the xen top-level directory.

Yahoo led me to this:

    "http://seb.dbzteam.com/pages/xen_install.html";

where I found this:

    "make linux-2.6-xen0-config CONFIGMODE=xconfig".

The author does a great job of explaining how to configure the kernel(s) for "make".

I've also encountered problems with new builds not installing over parts of previous builds, particularly with the modules and python scripts. I've found success by moving or deleting the problematic directories: "/lib/modules/2.6.??-xen?" and "/usr/lib/python/*".

Lastly, the "make help" info seems a bit stale, especially the info for make uninstall. Help says uninstalls xen tools. *Blooey!* Uninstall does a good job of removing all traces of any xen installations: new, old, experimental, etc. Wipes the /boot partition of any file containing the character sequence "xen", suchas "boxen, maxent, vixen". Any prior hypervisors and xen kernels are history, as well as any unfortunately named other files. If you've had to build your own initrd those will probably disappear, too.

I'm not a c programmer and know less about autoconf, etc, but I did change the Makefile to clearly state that the /boot partition will be modified in ways that may not be intendended. (I lost generations of builds. I'm on the left coast US. Did you hear me screaming over there in the UK? ;o)

Anyway, I strongly recommend to the developers that the attached patch be applied, or that someone else come up with a different warning. Might save somebody else a hearty round of expletives.

Happy xenning,
:m)
165,166c165,172
<       @echo '  uninstall        - attempt to remove installed Xen tools (use'